My Moral Assumptions
Posted by Michael Dickens on January 6, 2010
This is an attempt to list my most basic moral assumptions. I think that all of my moral beliefs follow from these.
0. Logic works the way we think it does.
1. If a moral goal is shown to be best, then it should be accepted.
2. That overall happiness should be maximized is the best moral goal.
3. It is morally better to behave in line with the best moral goal than out of line with it.
4. If an action is morally better than another, we should perform it.
5. Common perception of overall happiness being maximized is consistent with reality, or at least as close to consistent as we are going to get.
I may add to this list in the future.